Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Momorial Day

Five years ago, on Memorial Day
My mom passed away
Sort of fitting in a way
As she was greatly fascinated with WWII
She adored the Greatest Generation
And was immensely proud of her father’s
Bronze Medal and Purple Heart
Even so my mom was a schoolteacher
And an artist, not a soldier
Though I suspect she secretly wished
She could have fought the Nazis
Recently I found a birthday note she’d written me
She reminisced about how surprised she was
To have a baby girl
(Apparently the ultrasound had suggested a boy
The doctors suspected twins, in fact
So I was twice a surprise, arriving as Venus, solo)
She wrote, “I thought, what am I going to do with a girl?”
She and her sisters had all been
Pumping out boysboysboys
In this letter, she listed the promises she made to me,
Based on her best ideas on how to parent a female:
*I will never insist you be a girly girl
*I will let you pick out your own clothes
*I will never make you wear pink
*I will never make you wear dresses
*I will never say you should grow up and get married
*I will never grill your boyfriends like my father did to us
*I will never say you don’t need a college degree because you are a girl
That’s quite a list, Mom
Much appreciated
Certainly surprising
After all, she was raised Catholic
Traditional Midwest conservative values
The great love of her life was
Her Lord and Savior Jesus Christ
(She wasn’t dogmatic but did believefiercely)
Anyway, this stuff was pretty radical for her
And for her time
Mom would never have identified as a feminist
But she never liked others telling her what to do
I suspect she was more fierce and wildon the inside
Than she was allowed to be on the outside
Hard to say, sometimes
How much of the repression
Came from her own fears
And how much came from
The surrounding society
The one that squished her tomboy-ery
The one that suggested she didn’t need an education
(And by the way, Mom DID get a degree
When I was a kid, she went back to school
And later told me that being a college graduate
Was the only dream in her life that came true)
The one that expected her to serve her father
And then her husband
I’m guessing serving her country
Was never much of an option
Perhaps this is why she felt so strongly
About those who did
Of course, for me, Memorial Day
Will now always be about remembering her
Thank you, Mom
For never making me wear a pink dress
(Which is honestly my nightmare)
For never suggesting I should trade in
My pixie cut and Doc Martens
For skirts and long hair
For never prodding me to attract the boys
Instead of hanging out with them
For letting me become
Whatever kind of girl I was
Most especially one who realizes
There are infinite ways to be brave

No comments:

Post a Comment