Wednesday, July 3, 2019

On Being a Production Assistant

I’d been casting about for something to do
Part time, flexible, creative, fun
Not behind a desk or under a fluorescent light
When unexpectedly I met someone who worked
In freelance film production
And wanted to know
Had I ever thought about trying that?
Oh, only all my life
I’m a hard-core cinephile and storyteller
To be on a professional film set
Has been on my life list for decades
So here was the opportunity
I would have to start as a PA
Production Assistant: the entriest of levels
You are basically a cheap body
There to be ordered about
To do anything anyone needs
At any and all times
You hop to it
Quick as you can
Because everyone is waiting on you
Either that or you are waiting on someone else
In fact, mostly what you do is wait
Those famous 12, 14, 16 hour days
Are, as reputed, spent standing around
Standing around as in literally standing
Because sitting down on the set is taboo
(Unless you are “above the line”)
But also standing around as in
Epic waiting
Punctuated with bursts of emergencies
After a few gigs now
I can verify the old hurry up and wait cliché is true
This industry is in fact chock full of clichés
It really is mostly about getting coffee and lunches
Ensuring there is Diet Coke specifically for the producer
And Diet Pepsi specifically for the writer
And for god’s sake not mixing them up
There’s airport runs to pick up executives
Office runs to pick up supplies
I even picked up someone’s dry cleaning
Assignments that started out relaxed and reasonable
Ended with a zinger
“Oh, can you just swing by TJ’s, grab some snacks and water…
For 100 people?”
“Can you head over to base camp…
And wait there for 3 hours or until someone gets you?”
Often the task was physically grueling
I mean, water for 100 people weights a ton
There’s always some impossible loading and unloading to be done
Never any parking of course
People kept telling me to do stuff I didn’t understand
I didn’t know the lingo
And you really can’t ask too many questions
They expect you to just figure it out
At one point, I was assigned the job of driving the beard
I assumed it was a guy who needed a ride
But no, turned out an actual costume beard
Had to be chaperoned from the south bay to SF
I drove for two hours in traffic
Snuck into the Four Seasons to deliver it
An unexpectedly high-profile package
“Let us know when the beard is on the way”
Is a text I never expected to get even once
Much less from three different people
So even though the work is hard
It’s refreshingly unpredictable
And sometimes awesome
One job was a shoot for a TV pilot
One of the major networks
So big time I can’t even talk about it
Because I had to sign about 30 pages of
Agreements, waivers, ad NDA’s
But I think it’s safe to say
You’d know some of the actors
You’ve seen stuff the director has done
It was the kind of massive crazy production
I’ve always wanted to see
And it did not disappoint
A giant musical dance number
Multiple locations, equipment galore
Some 100 crew
Some 200 background actors
Scores of dancers and singers
A fake cable car on busy city streets
A whole army of PA’s doing to lockdown the area
Which means stopping pedestrians from wandering into the shot
I was on walkie-talkie for from sunup to sundown
Could hear every bit of the controlled madness
The routine chaos
If I’d have run a corporate event that haphazardly
It would be the last one they ever gave me to do
But film is the Indiana Jones of large-scale endeavors
Somehow everyone pulled it together
Even though it seemed to be always
On the verge of falling apart
The days were long
The record for me personally was 7am to 1am
I’d get home at 10pm
Followed by a 5am call time
But at least I wasn’t alone
We were all up early, bleary, cranky
But yet still game, good to go, on top of it
Everyone was a pro and did their job
I stood on a North Beach street
At 6am on a Sunday morning
Directed extras unloading from shuttles
All the while keeping an eye out for
Those still twisted from Saturday night revels
Stumbling past us, drawn to the smell of our coffee
During the anticlimactic dawns
I joked with the beefy security guards
On duty since the night before
They all dwarfed me but they accepted me
They said they liked my pink hair and my lighthearted ways
They covered for me when I snuck in a bathroom break
(Because there are no actual breaks)
I screwed up a few times
When I didn’t know what I was doing
And I got barked at
Quickly I figured out what to do
Took charge of things when needed
And sometimes still got barked at
But I also got hugged
Welcomed
Teased
And, in the end, when it was over
When it was a wrap
And everyone clapped and relaxed
I got sincerely if briefly thanked
Generally, they were all much nicer than I expected
No-nonsense, for sure, but friendly
As long as you did your job
I liked meeting so many new people
But the transition from director to underling
Was not so easy
Fetching paper the first day, I found myself chaffing
My ego muttering, you used to run events this size
It’s not easy to get used to being ordered around
It’s not easy to voluntarily leap from mid-career money
To literally minimum wage (okay, SF minimum)
The thing is, I think it was a good decision
I had a nice marriage with my old job
It had been love at first sight
We had a really good run
Ups and downs for a long time
There was a real peak
Wild true love
But then there was also a slow downward slide
The latent dysfunction turned acute
My job started ignoring me
Then married an Amazon
It was time to go
Oh, but how comfortable it had been
I gave up vacations, travel, perks, discounts
“I haven’t bought soap in a decade” level of free samples
I had a tribe of people I truly loved
Plus there were chairs!
I had no idea I would look back so fondly on seating
I ate well and the paycheck was so steady
I kind of forgot I was earning it
I lived my life in this marriage
I knew nothing else
What else was there?
It would be madness to leave
Except eventually it became madness to stay
I realized I was wasted in that relationship
It was going nowhere
The love was long since gone
So now I am seeing this new guy
Wasn’t easy to get that first date
He’s difficult and demanding
Keeps me up all hours
Asks me to do things I would otherwise
Never find myself doing
But they are exciting things
Or at the very least, weird and new
And no doubt, he’s quirky and temperamental
But so damn sexy
Movie star good looks
He’s trouble
But worth it
And since, work-wise
I’m freshly single
I may as well enjoy a fling

No comments:

Post a Comment