Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Losing My Focaccia

Walking by local bakery Arizmendi
I stop to grab something for dinner later
Something to go with the salad I have planned
Their daily focaccia special looks amazing 
It is still warm from the oven
Then at the car I fumble with my keys
And somehow the bread slips its bag
And lands face down on the sidewalk
I make an involuntary sad surprise sound
Two passers-by witness the impact
What a bummer, they say
Five-second rule, one says
Are you kidding, the other replies
I mean, it's a sidewalk
In the Mission!
I agree
Once warm cheese has hit pavement, it's all over
But more than that
My mood also hits the pavement
Two people I know have recently passed away
And now this dead bread has me practically crying 
It was so lovingly made
So carefully prepared
So very suddenly and pointlessly ruined
I can't stand the sadness 
I can't stand the loss
But at least I can go back to the bakery
The focaccia is already sold out
I ask for a slice of the daily pizza instead
While the clerk rings me up
I mention I just got - and dropped - some focaccia 
Wish I'd been able to try it, I say
She doesn't say anything 
But turns back and grabs another slice
Hands it to me with a smile on her face
Her simple kindness 
Her touching attempt to make up for the loss
Brings my heart to its knees
We can never ever get back what's gone forever
And that hurts
But someone giving out a little bit of unlooked-for love
(and, this case, pizza) 
Sure as hell helps

No comments:

Post a Comment