Thursday, June 30, 2022

When Things Work

Last night the power flickered once or twice
Then became something else
Lights on for a bit would suddenly become brighter
All over the house, not just one room
This took a while to verify
(Intermittent issues are challenging that way)
But eventually it was clear something was wrong 
I called the PG&E emergency line
Explained what was happening
And also mentioned that 
Years ago when we first moved in
The same issue occurred when a ground wire
Outside the house came loose
And a giant surge went right through
The surge protectors and fried our appliances
Including our TV which burst into flames 
A fire we all and the house survived
So once fried twice shy
I was understandably nervous
PG&E asked me to shut off the main power
And wait - but not long!
Loren called me almost right away
He asked me to describe the issue
He was there in like 20 minutes
He was so nice 
Cheerful and competent at midnight
Shining his head lamp all over the place
I see the problem, he said
Shouldn't take long
And it didn't
Some beeping and flashing
And that was that
He had me turn the main power back on
Turn on all the lights 
And microwave a glass of water to test it all
No flickers no surges
Loren nods
Looks like that was it, he says
Waving goodbye with a smile
Good old Loren 
He came, he fixed, he left
All in less time than it takes for 
My groceries or Indian food to arrive
And I have to say
In these days 
When structures and services and supply chains
Seem to be falling apart
And basic health and safety 
For the average citizen
Doesn't seem to be such a common priority
It was reassuring to participate in 
Something That Worked
Ah, it is possible!
I'm grateful for emergency lines that function
And for all the Lorens out there 
Nurse Loren and Teacher Loren 
Farmer Loren and Waste Management Loren 
Thank you for knowing what to do
And doing what needs to be done
To keep us safe, fed, functioning, flourishing
I feel reluctant to praise PG&E
Yet credit where credit is due
Thank you for responding 
And please keep the Lorens coming

No comments:

Post a Comment