Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Buffalo Steve

Somewhere in East Texas
At a tiny museum 
Barry the local curator
Shared trivia and lore from times past
I wasn’t so interested to begin with
But the very first exhibit utterly charmed me:
A respectable collection of typewriters
I used to have a small collection myself, I said
A bulky, impractical hobby
Barry was impressed, and later told us 
About a friend not far from town 
Who owns a herd of buffalo
And if we told him Barry sent us
We might get to meet some buffalo
We finish the tour and though I think
My family wanted some lunch 
I was already on the phone to Steve
Who invited us right over 
Said he’d leave the gate open
I’d always been drawn to these giant shaggy beasts
I hustle my father, my brother, his girlfriend into the car
Ten minutes later we are shaking hands with Steve
We ask the sort of questions you might think
I’ll share his answers, though I don’t recall the order
He has a herd of 49 bison
(Technically bison = American and European beasts
Buffalos = African and Asian ones, but Steve said 
You can use the terms are interchangeably, colloquially
And I like buffalo so)
He has a herd of 49 buffalo
He moved out to East Texas specifically
To own a herd of buffalo
He was just a kid, 7 or 8, when he saw his first one
And he just sort of fell in love with them
But went on with his regular life
For many years, down in Orange County, in Tustin
(We’re from Orange County too! we said. Small world!
Also surprising because Steve had quite a Texan accent)
Eventually he retired and thought
It’s now or never for my dream of buffalo
He decided to search for a ranch
Found the one we were standing on
Bought 15 buffalo and so it began
Steve raises them for fun, not for meat  
He does have to sell some because they breed
And he can only keep so many
You cannot make money breeding buffalo, he tells us
It’s an expensive hobby
He shows us the corral with the pregnant females
One was sold and the new owner better come ger her soon
For Steve will not move her and the calf, once she birthed
The buffalo cows weigh around 1200 pounds
The bulls about 2000, which Steve prefers
They can get to 3000 but that’s an issue
Because, he says delicately, then it’s a problem
For the ladies during mating season
Steve shakes his head
And I can only imagine the struggles he’s seen
But now it’s time to meet the herd
We pile into what looks like a miliary-grade golf cart
Me in front with him, everyone else in the back
He plops large plastic bowls in our laps
Full of protein-rich pellets, basically buffalo treats
And goes over the rules
They are big animals and wild
They are gentle and don’t want to hurt you
But you are small to them
They won’t even realize what they are doing
They don’t know about such thin skin
So keep an eye on their horns when they are close
Don’t stick your legs or arms out of the vehicle
Because if they innocently just push against you 
And your arm is between them and a metal bar…
Steve trails off and we get the idea
Limbs can snap like a twig around ton-sized beasts
It sounds scarier than it is, Steve reassures us
And if they get too close, just put out your hand
He makes the universal sign for stop
He says, don’t ask me why this works
But it does
I find it both magical and reassuring that 
Buffalo can be stopped with a single common gesture
(I suddenly picture myself arresting wild animals
With a flourish, Gandalf-like
But equally I don’t actually wish to try my luck)
Steve explains how to feed them
They have long black tongues which they stick out
Place a pellet in there, he says, and they will do the rest
It’s like feeding a quarter in a meter, he explains
And don’t worry - they don’t really have front teeth
Your fingers will be fine
We bump over matted grasses and muddy tracks
Through several gates
Which seems odd once Steve tells us
Buffalo can run 35 miles an hour and 
Can easily jump six feet
The nearby fences are rather low, maybe four feet high
Confused, we clarify
So….they can jump away and run off anytime? 
Oh sure, says Steve, but they just don’t
Another buffalo mystery
They are piling up
We are now in the middle of the herd
As promised, it’s a lot of buffalo surrounding us
Lazing about, most dozing in the hot sun
They start to take notice but are not sure of us yet
Steve points certain ones out, or calls to them
Sometimes using a name, sometimes a number
(They all have numbered ear tags) 
When I ask about this, Steve says, only some have names
Yet another mystery
Steve cautions, most of them don’t like to be touched
But one of the bulls, Gentleman Jack, he doesn’t mind
He’ll be the first to come over
And sure enough Jack soon arrives
I feed him the pellets, feel that long rough black tongue 
I pet his dense scratchy fur, reminiscent of sheep’s wool
I get buffalo slobber on my shirt
Oh joy! To be close enough to get slobbered on!
Steve points to a spot on Jack’s shoulder
Pull his fur right there, he directs me
I do and a handful comes off
They are shedding for summer, he explained
For a while we feed Jack and others that come and go
There was Lizzie Borden, who tends to butt – she’ll give you forty whacks
Pink, whose tongue is pink, just a normal variation
Early, his very first bull, who recently lost a fight to Jack
Bulls can toss each other completely in the air, Steve says
We marvel again at their size and strength
We meet some of the smaller cows too
He recently lost Betty, one of his favorites
You can tell when he speaks of her that he misses her dearly
I begin to notice the differences in the herd
Distinguishing males from females, calves from adults
I get a sense of buffalo attractiveness
One pretty cow has beautifully expressive brown eyes
Sweet long lashes, horns with a graceful symmetrical curve
And a curled mop of hair as fluffy as a poodle’s
The contrast with Jack, the reigning bull, is undeniable
He’s gruff and tough, with splintered dirty horns
That have seen some action
A face mottled with rust-colored dust 
Jack seems to even sport a sort of matted buffalo unibrow  
Steve tells us they are social creatures
It’s torture for them to be alone
Which explains why they are huddled near each other
Despite having an enormous field to run about in
It’s time to head back now
And on the way I ask how often he visits the herd
Just about every day, he says
I don’t know what I would do without them
I know they are wild beasts, they are not tame
Of course you’re not supposed to snuggle up next to them
But I do it anyway sometimes
I go sit against Jack and I read
I take Old Yeller, you remember that book
I read Old Yeller out there with Jack, Steve confesses
And this confession could have been weird
It could have come off creepy or corny or confusing
But instead it’s touching
I’m moved like hell by 
The love this man has for his buffalo
They were his secret dream
They lit him up inside but 
He almost didn’t do it
He almost gave up on it
And though there’s no profit in it
Though there’s no real point to it
He followed his dream
His pride in them was obvious
So happy to show them off, like they were his kids
We of course get the benefit of being up close
To these dangerous, mighty, gentle beasts
I never expected to be in a buffalo herd
I never expected to touch those great shaggy heads
(A thing I have always wanted very much to do)
And I’m grateful for Steve sharing his buffalo friends with us
But more than that I see 
The good that comes from following one’s dream
No matter how odd, impractical or superfluous it seems
It doesn’t have to be grand
It doesn’t have to change the world
No need to get rich or famous
No need to win, no need to achieve anything
Steve’s dream was basic: live with buffalo
That’s all
100 acres in the middle of nowhere, Texas
You’d probably drive right by his ranch
Never realizing you just passed 
A slice of paradise
At least it is for one man
Is it really that simple, I wonder?
To live, merely move towards
Who and what we love
Even if that happens to be 
Buffalo

No comments:

Post a Comment