Wednesday, April 1, 2020

A Day Off


It’s my day off
Which is funny because
Now lots of people don’t have days off
Or only have days off
Depending on how you look at it
I do freelance contract work
And happen to be in a busy period right now
Work picked up the week everything shut down
So after spending two months
Depressed and moping around
With no work and no energy
Suddenly I am back in the swing
And just as suddenly
America mostly shuts down
And everyone starts Going Live
And Zooming around
And creating stuff and saying stuff
Stuff I thought of but didn’t get to writing down
Before someone else said it
Because I am working most days
Two different jobs
Glad am I to have the work
For however long it lasts
But doing the work is not always easy
I want to Go Live
I want to Zoom
But I’m too tired by the day’s end
Aren’t we all?
The really funny thing is
I worked for Whole Foods for 20 years
Yes, and who would have guessed
Grocery store workers were to become
Not even two years after my departure
The new heroes of our day?
I of course had always known this
The importance of sanely produced healthy food
Is not to be underestimated
We are all appreciating it now
But it’s the reason I devoted
Two decades of my life to a grocery store
It was also a movement
Which is why I was so devoted
I loved Whole Foods
And it loved me back
Let me put it this way
They have these awards called All*Stars
Which are like the Oscars of Whole Foods
And not to brag but I have four
I was like the Katharine Hepburn of Whole Foods
Is what I am saying
I did various things but mostly
Communication that went to thousands of people
But things slowly changed
And after
What we called a merger
And they called an acquisition
(I won’t speak the name here but everyone knows)
It turned out
My heart, my magic and my medicine
Which was for so long a part of the team
Was no longer needed
They slowly shut me out
Until I got the hint and left
I don’t regret leaving
Though I miss many of the leaders
Wonder about them and wish them well
I never knew such a good group of people
As I did at Whole Foods
Seriously it truly used to be all about the love
I hear it’s not like that now
Under their new master
But
Wow
Am I glad to see Team Members
Finally getting some credit
May they soon also get the wages
And support they deserve
May we all
The irony is not lost on me
That for 20 years I had
Protections benefits perks
And now I am in that category
With no safety net at all
The ones that falls through the economic cracks
An independent worker and part-time musician
I don’t get paid for musician
So it doesn’t count
Even though I still have to put in
All the time and the energy
Writer too, and I don’t get paid for that either
Which means
No artists’ grants or loans available
No unemployment available
No sick leave or paid time off for me
Just hours that are likely to slow as the economy slows
I wonder how many in America are like me?
How many will receive that $1200
And that is it?
Well, for now I have work
And a day off even!
When I wasn’t working
I never had the pleasure of a day off
I notice that this whole Thing has pointed out
How much I took for granted
Even while practicing daily gratitude
I mean
Look your window
The world is still beautiful
And where I am right now
It’s a gorgeous sunny spring day
Time to clear a space for the garden
And plant some seeds
For the future
And hope for the best

1 comment: